forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New ASF site was Re: New Apache XML Site! :-)
Date Sat, 26 Oct 2002 23:36:06 GMT
--On Sunday, October 27, 2002 12:52 AM +0200 Nicola Ken Barozzi
<nicolaken@apache.org> wrote:

> With Forrest we have created for this purpose a "bot" that simply
> checks out a series of sites from CVS, runs the build, and uploads
> them to the website.

I would be against such a bot in use for ASF sites.

There are times when we want to check in a change and do not
necessarily want to propogate the change immediately (say a pending
security release).  There are also times when we want an immediate
deployment - waiting for a bot could be painful (activating the bot
by trigger could be useful but introduces the first problem).

I'm also concerned about security risks of a remote cron job that
copies the files to production.  Remember that we can't do the
generation on the production site.

So, I would strongly prefer that we maintain manual deployment.

> The real goal is to use Forrest *live*, thus serving the *best*
> content to each browser, by doing separate transformation based on
> the request, a thing that a single graphics cannot give.

As I bet you are aware, there will be major performance
considerations if you go down this route.  I would be reluctant to
move away from static pages in any ASF environment.  In the past, I
have worked with sites that used Java/XML/XSLTs to dynamically
generate the pages and was bitten by their lack of scalibility.  The
approach the ASF has tried to promote on its webpages is static
translations rather than dynamic translations.  I believe it fits
well in our deployment model.

Please remember that the ASF sites handle approximately 2-3 million
hits a day (may well be much more by now).  Dynamic pages may make
sense for small sites, but I'd have to be sold on doing this for such
a large site that has severe resource constraints.  We have no money
to buy a Fire V480 - we're lucky we have daedalus/icarus.  -- justin