forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 'broken links' under .. what .. circs?
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:24:41 GMT
On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 10:45:05AM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >
> > Oh well, at least they're phantom broken links instead of the real
> > thing.
>
> no, they're not.  they're real if the subdirectory is only mentioned
> in the tabs.xml file.  which means to avoid them i need to list
> them in the xdocs/book.xml menu, which kinda defeats the purpose
> of the tabs..

Oh I see..  I think that Forrest's tabs weren't designed for what you are
trying to do. Forrest tabs follow the paper book "tab" analogy quite
closely.  Each is like a hardcoded bookmark to a chapter.  In a real
book, all chapters are still in the index, regardless of whether they're
tabbed..

But yes, that is far too limiting.  So it's a bug.. I'll see if I can
squash it tomorrow.

> > Despite many people's efforts, the Cocoon CLI still sucks badly.
> > Driving Forrest is like driving a siege engine.. big, slow, liable to go
> > bang at the slightest mistake.  That's why we want to abandon the Cocoon
> > CLI for everyday editing, as described in other threads.
>
> i'm new here and complete cocoon-unaware.  does the above mean
> i won't be able to produce my site from the command line, but will
> need to do it through some web interface?

No, it means that you won't have to wait a few minutes for X pages to
render between every tiny edit.  You'd edit the XML, switch to the
browser and see the change rendered nearly instantly.  When you've
finished editing, go back to the command-line and generate a static site
with the usual 'forrest' command.

Don't worry, despite being Java weenies there's lots of us who hate GUIs
;)

--Jeff