forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Forrest 1.0 thoughts (Re: Forrest with embedded Jetty: it works!)
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 04:25:45 GMT
On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 03:48:34PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >3) Users can now edit XML docs with whatever tools they want, and
> >instantly see them at http://localhost:8888/<whatever>
>
> Exactly.
> Or also edit it in html with Mozilla Composer or such, and have Forrest
> transform it to XML.
>
> This is quite easy to do with the html generator, and I'm doing that too.

HTML to XML?  Bizarre.. I suppose there could be XPaths in comments,
linking back to the original XML.. would certainly be convenient.

> The question is: how do we define sections in HTML?
>
> >4) (optional) From the admin interface, we can have a 'editor' webapp,
> >which deploys itself over another project, and allows the user to edit
> >the XML through their web browser with Xopus or somesuch tool.
>

> >Hmm.. how does that sound?  Technically it's not that far away.. just
> >requires a change in thinking: Forrest as a live interactive
> >application, a Cocoon webapp that manages other Cocoon webapps.. much
> >like what Stefano/Carsten are talking about for managing blocks in C2.2.
> >
> >Thoughts?
>
> I agree, in fact it's the direction I'm taking now.
> Thanks to your idea of pushing towards using the webapp to see changes
> instantly, this has become a natural way of progressing with forrest.

Good stuff.

> Technically, I would keep all these actions as Ant scripts, so that they
> can be called by the Forrest admin webapp or by commandline.
> This follows the UNIX philosophy of having all commandline and making
> GUIs on top of it.

+1

> We just need an AntAction, and it will be a piece of cake.

On avalon-dev someone once posted an Ant block for Phoenix:

With that, the AntAction would just lookup AntServer.ROLE and tell it the
location of the Ant script to run.

Mm.. would be nice to expose the whole Forrest management API via a set
of URLs, REST-style.

> Any takers for it?

Anyone? :)  I'm busy with Maven plugins 'n stuff..

> Jeff, when you have committed your refactoring I will make the necessary
> changes to host Jetty, and will commit it, along with the drafts of my
> primitive inline wiki editor.

Great, I look forward to playing.

--Jeff