forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Forrest as a desktop tool? (was: Re: Forrest with embedded Jetty: it works!)
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:05:14 GMT
On Wednesday 30 October 2002 15:40, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>. . .
> I prefer the scripts... any tip on how to make it nicer without needing
> scripts? Maybe a java commandline that pops up with
>
>    java -jar forrest.jar

I think desktop-oriented users might like the following scenario:

-download forrest.jar, contains everything
-double-click forrest.jar (assuming proper JVM setup) or use java -jar
-java GUI comes up, asks user to select working directory
-GUI says "please connect to http://localhost:1234..."

Could also be done using Java Web Start, in which case Forrest could be
started directly from xml.apache.org/forrest.

If you can integrate slash-edit + chaperon to allow structured text
editing...well, you can put me on your "people that owe me a beer" list ;-)

Forrest then becomes a really cool and easy to use content editing
system...

This is similar to what Jeff said today in his RT, but maybe more targeted
towards "desktop-minded" users.

-Bertrand