forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: sync various descriptions of Forrest
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 08:03:51 GMT
On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 05:47:33PM +1100, David Crossley wrote:
> > > A) xml-forrest/src/documentation/content/xdocs/index.xml
> > >  Forrest provides a robust technological infrastructure for
> > >  open software development for the Apache Software Foundation
> > >  based on ASF software, ASF practices and experience, and
> > >  modern software design principles.
> >
> > Having read that, is a potential user _any_ closer to knowing what
> > Forrest actually is? To me it seems almost meaningless.  "robust
> > technical infrastructure".. an operating system perhaps? :)
> >
> > How about:
> >
> >   "Forrest is an XML-oriented project documentation system based on
> >   Apache Cocoon.  It contains XML schemas (DTDs), XSLT stylesheets,
> >   images and other resources used to render a project's XML source files
> >   into a website."
>
> Better. Here is my version.
>
>  "Forrest is an XML-oriented project documentation framework
>  based on Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets and schema,
>  images and other resources. Forrest uses these to render the
>  XML source content into a website via command-line, robot, or
>  a dynamic web application."

Better still :)

Perhaps "XML standards-oriented" instead of "XML-oriented"?  It hints
that we prefer standard ways of doing things: XSLT over Velocity etc,
which is a nice selling point.

Would be nice to somehow convey that Forrest scales from static to
dynamic sites.  Ie, start out with a small static site, then when you
find you need user login, feedback modules or RSS feeds, switch
painlessly to a live webapp.  I don't know of anything else that offers
this possibility.

--Jeff