forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: newbie feeling my way into the forrest
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 04:18:25 GMT
On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 10:22:47PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> okey, i'm trying to experiment with this stuff, and i think i'm
> running into the typical set of gotchas-for-the-unclewed found
> in most new projects under development.  (that is, the developers
> know what to do and what the errors mean, but..)
>
> working from nicola's initial draft of the incubator site,
> i added an xdocs/drafts/ directory.  i created an index.html
> and a book.xml in it.  the book.xml refers to the index (.html)
> and an as-yet nonexistent document named structure.{html,xml}.
>
> when i run forrest, i get a single java error (boy, *those* are
> helpful.  not! ;-).  the build/site/drafts/ directory is created,
> and an index.html and structure.html are put in it.  both contain
> nothing but cocoon resource-not-found error messages.

Yep, Cocoon (hence Forrest) error reporting is not too wonderful :/  For
debugging, I've found it useful to run:

tail -f build/tmp/context/WEB-INF/logs/error.log &

> structure.html contains an error about structure.html not being found,
> which is probably reasonable, but index.html has a similar error about
> index.html not being found.
>
> from the forrest run:
>
>   copy-xdocs:
>   Copying 10 files to /home/coar/apache-incubator-site/build/tmp/context/content/xdocs
>
>   (should that have mentioned the drafts directory?  which ten files?)

That's just Ant, which doesn't report directories.  Running 'forrest -v'
prints out lots of gory details, but generally they're not interesting.

>         :
>
>   Setup... done.
>   Initializing... ready, let's go :-)
>   java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException: internal-destination
or external-destination must be specified in basic-link
> 	at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.run(TransformerImpl.java:3231)
>    * [27] index.html
>    * [0] skin/page.css
>    * [0] skin/images/spacer.gif
>    * [0] skin/breadcrumbs.js
>    * [0] images/group-logo.gif
>    * [0] images/project-logo.gif
>    * [0] skin/images/tabSel-left.gif
>    * [0] skin/images/tabSel-right.gif
>    * [0] skin/images/tab-left.gif
>    * translate empty uri
>   [22]
>   -> [broken link] drafts/index.html <-

I'm trying to replicate this on my apache-incubator directory, and for a
while I _thought_ I saw the problem (that tabs.xml must be copied too).
But now it works just as I'd expect.  In /book.xml:

<menu label="Drafts">
  <menu-item label="Home" href="drafts/index.html"/>
</menu>

Then drafts/ contains index.xml and book.xml (with ..'s added to links)

The PDF is still broken (which we'll fix) but the main page works.

I've attached a 'subdir' example.  It can be unzipped into
apache-incubator/, and will only knacker your
src/documentation/content/xdocs/book.xml file.

> what did i forget to do?  why didn't my xdocs/drafts/index.xml
> get turned into build/site/drafts/index.html?
>
> i've read through the 'using forrest' page but remain unenlightened
> as to the cause of this one..

As am I..

--Jeff