forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Turf Centipede, plus updates (Re: The Incubator site)
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:00:40 GMT
On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 01:04:16AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> >
> >i tried it while i was waiting for my car to be inspected, but i
> >couldn't build it -- the cvs head has a dependency on being online and
> >able to reach krysalis.org.
>
> :-(
>
> Ok Forrest guys, I've had enough! ;-)
>
> It's the third time in an afternoon that I have recieved similar
> problems, and feature requests.
>
> We *must* ensure that these difficulties won't happen again, and
> remember that many new users we will have from now on don't usually
> work with or like Java (I'm not talkin about you Ken, it's the others
> that complained ;-)
>
> Jeff et all, from me you have all the support to:
>
>  * remove what is left of the old Centipede inside Forrest
>  * remove the need to download from an outer site
>  * put all needed in CVS, put the latest Ant

I've done most of this on my local repository.  The effects are:

 - Directory structure and build.xml somewhat simpler.
 - Forrest is buildable by typing 'ant' (to keep Dion happy).
 - .. but for people without Ant, it's also buildable with
   ./build.{sh,bat}.  An _unmodified_ but stripped-down Ant 1.6-dev is
   kept in tools/ant/ for this purpose.
 - The shbat distribution now includes the same stripped-down Ant.
   Previously we required the user to have Ant installed to run Forrest.
   Now Forrest requires only a JDK to run.

If anyone has objections, get them in now before lazy consensus kicks in.

----

Other Exciting News from Some of the Forrest Team:

 - Nicola has Jetty working.  Faster-than-Anakia edit/view turnaround
   times are now possible, if we could just get rid of the 'copy src/*
   build/*' stage.
 - Jeff spent today hacking Ant and finally got <xmlcatalog> support for
   external OASIS catalogs working (hence Ant 1.6-dev mentioned above).
   We'll soon have XML validation as part of the doc rendering process.
 - Jeff has latest Cocoon ChainMetaModule working in Forrest.  Having
   cookie-remembered, user-selectable skins in live webapps is only an
   XSP away.

--Jeff