forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Todo list in generated Forrest docs
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 04:49:16 GMT
On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 07:40:59PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >'forrest view' launches an internal webserver.  What you were thinking?
>
> Yup!
>
> I was already talking about implementation details.
>
> Basically, what has to be done is:
>
>  0.5) grab a lightweight webserver
>
>  1) create all the o.a.c.environment.* abstraction classes needed
>     to run Cocoon in the webserver
>
>  2) create a EmbeddedServer.java entry point
>     (like Cocoonservlet and Main)

Ah okay.

Would that be better than just pointing the embedded server at the site
webapp, and letting it deploy however it wants?

I was thinking of adding some Ant tasks to forrest.build.xml for
launching the embedded webserver and deploying webapps.  Currently in
Anteater there's a Tomcat 3.3 wrapper which can launch webapps with:

  <servletContainer port="8100"/>  <!-- Start Tomcat -->
  <deploy path="/mysite" webapp="build/webapps"/>
  <waitfor>
    <socket server="localhost" port="8100"/>
  </waitfor>

> But having the possibility of clicking a button on the page to see the
> source, edit it, -save- and see the result right away would be heaven...

mm... certainly would.  Like the Mozilla system.

--Jeff