forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Todo list in generated Forrest docs
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:07:58 GMT
On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 03:54:03PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >Which reminds me, need to get cracking on a 0.2 Maven plugin to suck in
> >more hapless vict.. users for us to be helpful to.
>
> Yeah, Maven is going at the eight beta now, so it's time to update it,
> and I'll have to have my go at a Centipede one.
>
> BTW, I have not yet had time to thank you for your latest work on
> Forrest, it really was the thing we all needed but nobody ever got to do.
> Kudos++ :-)

Thanks ('n Steven too).  When Ivelin's book-writing offer came in, I took
the chance to become "voluntarily unemployed" for a bit, which is why
I've had so much free time ;)  23, still living with parents, no
responsibilities, free access to these Apache playgrounds.. it's great ;)
However, it's the people with real lives and real jobs who devote their
few spare moments to Apache who really deserve gratitude.

> And also put all files in *one* directory as already decided, so that
> Jeff doesn't have to rant about how cumbersome the dir structure is .

Which files?  I am always happy to oblige when it comes to rants. :)

> ;-P
>
> hehehe
>
> One last thing, I forgot the status of the forrest.properties stuff,
> what is still needed now?
> Also I tried to use the tigris skin but it simply ignores the skin
> setting, but I don't have time to investigate now...

Yes, setting 'forrest.skin' has no effect.  Possible solutions:

 - Quick'n dirty: s/${defaults:skin}/avalon-tigris in the project sitemap
   (src/documentation/sitemap.xmap overrides the default).
 - Short term: roll back Konstantin's input module patch in the standard
   sitemap.
 - Long term: use Christian Haul's new chaining input module.

> Plans?

Personally:

 - Fix forrest.skin bug
 - Repackage Forrestbot (currently requires manual hacking)
 - Anything else necessary for a 0.2 release.
 - Write Maven plugin against 0.2

> The metamodule stuff?

If you mean DefaultsMetaModule input module, yes (IIRC now called
ChainingMetaModule).

> Last but not least, I have set up a Forrest version of the main Apache
> page here:
>
>   http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/apache-www/build/site/

Nice!

One fine day, Forrest will have a faster edit-view turnaround time than
Anakia, and have more features than anything else.  Then we can loose our
fanatic Forrest legionaries out into the universe to convert the masses
(reminiscenses from Dune here).

(IOW: let's not cause a flamewar by proposing that as a replacement for
the current Anakia-driven site ;)  At least, not yet.)

> And one for the incubator project here:
>
>   http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/apache-incubator/build/site/
>
> If we get the Maven plugin working well, it would be awesome :-)

Within a week or so, I hope.

--Jeff