forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Integrating Forrest with existing Cocoon apps
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:47:18 GMT
On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 01:29:14PM +0100, Michael Edge wrote:

> OK, making some progress. I'm now getting the error below. This seems
> to come from the target below. I do not have a file called skinconf.xml
> in my xml-forrest download. Also, you mentioned a file called
> forrest.properties that can be used to setup project properties. Do you
> have an example of this as I can't find one in the download.

Both files are there, eg:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/xml-forrest/src/resources/conf/skinconf.xml

Try running 'cvs update -dP'. Normal 'cvs update' doesn't fetch newly
created directories..

> "forrest.build.xml":
> \xml-forrest\build\dist\shbat\forrest.build.xml:106: Could not create
> task of type: xmlproperty. Common solutions are to use taskdef to
> declare your task, or, if this is an optional task, to put the
> optional.jar in the lib directory of your ant installation (ANT_HOME).
> at line 106

Oh yes.. the docs ought to mention; you'll need Ant 1.5 or above.

--Jeff

>   <!-- Load properties from Forrest's default skinconf.xml, unless a user's is defined
-->
>   <target name="load-forrest-props" depends="init-props" unless="project.skinconf.present">
>     <xmlproperty file="${forrest.home}/context/skinconf.xml"
>       collapseattributes="true" validate="true"/>
>   </target>
>
> Regards
>
> Michael

> Michael Edge
> Global Markets Technology
> Institutional Client Group
>
> Phone:  +44  (0) 20 7545 3204
> Fax :       +44  (0) 20 7545 1559
> Internet email:    Michael.Edge@db.com
>

>                       Marc Portier

>                       <mpo@outerthought        To:       forrest-dev@xml.apache.org

>                       .org>                    cc:

>                                                Subject:  Re: Integrating Forrest with
existing Cocoon apps
>                       15/10/2002 10:48

>                       Please respond to

>                       forrest-dev

> Hi,
>
> after running the "build dist" on forrest you should install
> (copy) the build/dist/shbat into a directory you called
> FORREST_HOME through some environment variable
>
> from then you can use $FORREST_HOME/forrest.sh site in any
> directory to start forrest-building the documentation there (to a
> relative dir ./build/site/)
>
> the projects that want to hook it up into their existing ant
> build.xml (like you) can use some target allong the lines of:
>
>    <target name="docs"  description="Generates the documentation">
>      <property environment="ENV" />
>      <property name="forrest.home" value="${ENV.FORREST_HOME}" />
>      <ant antfile="${forrest.home}/forrest.build.xml"
>           target="site" />
>    </target>
>
> (as you see the actual forrest-building is done through an
> underlaying ant script, just try not to get confused by this :-S)
>

> when forrest-building your documentation like this
> it is assumed that your project-home is the current dir (normally
> the basedir for your build.xml, which is probably what you want)
> the generated docs would go to ./build/site by default
>
> this and other defaults can be modified by using some
> forrest.properties file that will be picked up by the
> forrest.build.xml
>
> let us know if this theory fails to work in practice :-)
> HTH
> -marc=
>
> Michael Edge wrote:
> > Hi again
> >
> > I've spent a couple of days trawling through the Forrest and Centipede documentation
and, as far as I understand it, Forrest is what we are looking for to document our Cocoon
applications. The question is, how do we go about this? We have existing Cocoon apps, complete
with ANT build scripts. I need to integrate Forrest into this so that it becomes another target
in our build scripts. The current samples generate Forrest documentation, but I can't find
any details on how to integrate Forrest with an existing application.

> > Any help appreciated.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Michael
> >

> > --
> >
> > This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately
and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material
in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.