forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Linking revisited: A general linking system
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 04:51:17 GMT
On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 11:33:19AM +1300, Conal Tuohy wrote:
> I confess I don't know much about Forrest, but it seems to me that a
> "resource" maps to a "topic" in topicmap jargon, and a "resourcemap" or
> "linkmap" (in Jeff's terminology) maps to a "topicmap".

You're right. The following could be regarded as a listing of topics:

<site>
  <dreams/>
  <faq>
    <how_can_I_help/>
    <building_own_website/>
    <building_fails_on_subsequent_builds/>
  </faq>
  <primer/>
</site>

And the attributes provide mappings from topic to XML resource, and HTML
rendering.

> Is there some reason not to make use of this technology?

Nope, it's great stuff.  I'm really impressed with how the tm4j site
(http://www.tm4j.org/) is generated from a directory of topic maps.

Wouldn't it be nice if, one day, Forrest could combine the dynamicity of a Wiki
with a solid semantic base of a topic map.

> There is an XML syntax for topicmaps (XTM) and some developing tools for
> managing them (e.g.  tm4j). I know topicmaps have been mentioned before  ...
> but do Forrest people think TopicMaps are overkill, perhaps?

Probably the XTM syntax is a bit hard for your average content producer to
understand, but that's not to say the underlying ideas aren't worth studying and
applying wherever possible.  If you have any ideas, write'em up in a RT (random
thought) post.

--Jeff