forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Where goes Forrestbot?
Date Sat, 12 Oct 2002 07:01:09 GMT
Hi,

The 'bot' target is currently in build.xml. This means it isn't visible
to external projects. build.xml isn't the right place for it anyway, as
it is intended only for Forrest-specific build targets. The question is,
where should it go?

I think it would be a good idea to create a separate distribution for
the Forrestbot. The notion of 'distributions' was introduced when
forrest.build.xml was split off from build.xml. Each distribution is
"Forrest packaged for a separate user group". So we'd have:

shbat      # Forrest for individual project developers
maven      # Forrest for Maven users (a Maven plugin)
centipede  # Forrest for Centipede users (Centipede cent)
forrestbot # Forrest for site integrators and deployers

So when developing a site, you'd use the 'shbat' distribution. Then on
the server, you'd use the 'forrestbot' distribution.

Each distribution can now evolve specifically for it's user group. The
forrestbot distribution could come with preconfigured crontab files.
shbat users don't need to see or worry about forrestbot.conf.xml files.

Thoughts?

--Jeff