forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [mini-RT] Using Forrest
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2002 03:36:02 GMT
On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 11:22:44PM +0200, Steven Noels wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> >So I propose the existence of a new Forrest distribution, that embeds a
> >Tomcat 4 instance. There would be the following commands:
> >
> >forrest_startup.sh        # Start the embedded Tomcat
> >forrest_shutdown.sh       # Stop the embedded Tomcat
> >forrest_register.sh       # Register a project with Forrest
> >forrest_unregister.sh     # Unregister a project from Forrest
> >forrest_genstatic.sh      # Generate a static HTML version of the site
> >forrest_gendynamic.sh     # Generate a webapp version of the site
> >
> >The 'register' command would use Tomcat 4's Ant scripts [1] to deploy a
> >new webapp, without restarting Tomcat. The webapp would have it's context
> >root at the project root, not in ./build/, so that edits made to
> >src/documentation/* are immediately picked up, and files like status.xml
> >in the project root are inside the context.
> >
> >Does it all sound decent?
>
> Hmmmm. Sounds tempting. Or should we provide just the scripts so that
> people are able to deploy/update a Forrest instance running in their own
> TC installation?
>
> Packaging TC seems like adding lots of weight to the distribution, IMO.
> But abondoning static for live, and creating static using wget sounds
> very tempting to me these days.

:) That's how I've been developing aft.sf.net for a long time now.

The major technical requirement is that Forrest must be able to act on a
project's 'native' directory structure, instead of requiring everything
to be copied into build/*. So when you edit
src/documentation/content/xdocs/index.xml, you can hit reload in your
browser and immediately see the change.

--Jeff