forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject how to update xml-site (Was: New Apache XML Site! :-))
Date Sat, 26 Oct 2002 09:37:02 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>  > I'm happy to inform you that I just committed the new version of the
>  > xml site in CVS.
>
> Site looks bad - un-committed or un-updated files apparently - I tried
> to cvs update locally on daedalus (you have access there too, Nicola,
> and the website is in /www/xml.apache.org) - to no avail. And no time to
> further investigate :-(
>
>  > If there are any problems, please contact
>  >
>  > forrest-dev@xml.apache.org
>
> Hm. Hmmm.
>
> 1) we did a bad job
> 2) you did a solo job
>
>  > This will make us have better graphics, automatic PDF creation,
>  > faster site, and most of all better bandwidth usage.
>
> Please let's be modest. In the heat of the reorg discussion, I see many
> people making bold claims and strong statements. The cocoon/forrest
> community is known not to fall into that trap. Let's keep it that way.
> Marketing is OK, but too much eagerness is simply bad publicity.
>
> We are stuck now with a site that looks bad, and is known to be
> generated using Forrest. Also, it seems like you simply copied the
> cleaned-up XML files I prepared once and generated the 'new website' out
> of it.
>
> Prior to doing so, you would as well have consulted the forrest-dev'ers,
> no? Did we contact the different projects prior to republishing to check
> on the accuracy if the common pages... no. Timeliness... no. Just a
> quick and dirty hack based on some source files I committed months ago.

Thanks for your comments Steven. Yes, it was a rash action
though i suspect that timeliness is good. Would we ever be
"ready"? The best thing to do now is to get quickly back
on track.

I gather that Ken has copied the xml-site/xdocs that we were
using temporarily in the xml-forrest cvs. I will go and sync
them with the original docs.

Ken you mentioned earlier that the forrestbot was "broken".
Would you please elaborate so that we can help to fix it.

> It's not because this is a can-do-ocracy that we should do things
> without enough consideration...
>
> Sorry if I seem pissed off, but that's because I'm currently lacking the
> time to help you with it, and you preferred going solo anyhow.

Well, the rest of us will be here to help. Please pop in
if you get some spare moments, if not to "do" then at least
to comment.

Solo actions are also part of the community. Our job as the
community is to put our strength and steering behind them.
--David