forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Koberg" <...@koberg.com>
Subject RE: Link-Addressing, and breaking up the sitemap
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 13:27:11 GMT
Hi,

Users will usually use a browser gui to edit them (they usually don't know they
exist). I tend to do the bulk of the my stuff in XMLSpy and some Ant tasks. I
find it easier and extremely clear what is going on

> - seem to be relating to one document repository that manages all
> 'article-ids' (while here we try to get some mechanism to cross
> ref between parts coming from different locations we still want
> to publish all together)

Yes it is a simple site example. Resources can come from anywhere.

I am noticing most hits to the docs site listed below are going to empty (not
404) pages. What you are seeing is a storyboard that is definitely a work in
progress. First thing I do with a site is storyboard out a wireframe, add
content and play with the site till it is workable.

If you go to:
http://docs.livestoryboard.com/en_us/manual/config/site/site.xml.html
there is a pager that will take you through the site config. Each element and
it's attributes are described.

I have also described the XSLT here:
http://docs.livestoryboard.com/en_us/manual/XSL/Overview.html

I separate them into 3 categories (links to further description are on the page
and in the nav):
1. Primary - these are the main XSLTs that setup a page structure and include
the other types
2. Common - these are generic templates to handle common web needs
3. Utility - eeeekkk! business logic :)

> > I have some incomplete documentation with Relax NG Schemas (I think
> I generated
> > DTDs and W3 Schema) up at:
> > http://docs.livestoryboard.com/en_us/manual/config/Overview.html
> >

> > </snip>
> >
> >>whadayathink?
> >>using the CLI is about "staticalizing" your content.  The webapp
> >>does not have this concern, so only the CLI needs to be taking up
> >>this concern to 'relativise' all the /-leading references in the
> >>produced static content.
> >>(At first I mentioned some transformer for this, but 'in office'
> >>Steven correctly pointed out that this has only got to do with
> >>the use of the crawler.)
> >>

> > What happens when your static output is PDF or some other binary
> staticalized :)
> > output?
> >

> honestly: I have *no* idea.
>
> For static HTML it seems natural to have relative links between
> all that sit in one dir with subdirs so they can be moved around
> in the vritual root of any webserver at will...
>
> For static pdf it seems natural to have only full fledged http://
> links... given the fact that you would maybe download, print,
> mail those around? (even harder to realize)
>
> It would not make a lot of sense to me to start browsing around
> from pdf to pdf... but who am I?

You are the savior of the forrest :)

Yes, I suppose it does not make much sense unless the PDF comes with other
things that it needs to link to when downloaded to a filesystem.

Another thing might be Flash movies that have relative resources.

I am trying to say that it does not seem to be a universal answer to the
relative links problem

-Rob