forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: No more @skin@ in sitemap (Re: cvs commit: xml-forrest/src/resources/conf cocoon.xconf sitemap.xmap)
Date Wed, 18 Sep 2002 07:47:08 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 05:10:55PM +0200, Marc Portier wrote:
>
>>- what does this tell about the somewhat promised "skinconf.xml"?
>

> skinconf.xml is just a bunch of declarative data about the user's
> project. It can be used to configure any skin. It doesn't specify which

these opening lines suggest the name for it should be 'bigger'
then the current skinconf.xml

it doesn't need to be called siteplan.xml for me :-), but I do
like systems where there is one clear location for all config
stuff, just my 2c

in this vision: if there is more then one concern to be expressed
there can be delegations to other files, but at least their
locations should be managed centrally then

forrestconfig.xml
<skinconf file="..." />

> skin to use, so there is no overlap with the new {defaults:skin}
> variable.
>
> However, in the future if we do need to access skinconf data from the
> sitemap, we can write a SkinconfInputModule, providing variables like
> {skinconf:project-name}, {skinconf:project-url} etc.

mmmm

>>- this puts some pressure on how the bot is working: we gave the
>>runner of the bot the opportunity to choose the skin of the
>>generated stuff (independant of what the project-content-creator
>>would of thought)
>

> IMHO that's a Good Thing. The skin should not be specified in
> src/documentation/*.

same opinion here

> Perhaps there is a ConfigurationModule, containing the -D properties set at the
> command-line. So {config:skin} would contain the variable set by -Dskin=...
> Then we could have:
>
> <component-instance
>      class="org.apache.cocoon.components.modules.input.DefaultsMetaModule"
>      name="defaults">
>   <input-module name="request"/> <!-- First use request params -->
>   <input-module name="config"/>  <!-- .. Then fall back to config params -->
>   <values>                       <!-- .. Otherwise use defaults -->
>     <skin>forrest-site</skin>
>     <base-url>/forrest</base-url>
>    </values>
> </component-instance>
>
> Umm. Slightly fictional but I don't see how else to fix the bot.

mmm, would it not be easier for the bot to generate the active
skinconf.xml file based on the local skinconf and possibly
overriding any variables in there with values supplied at
(bot)-generation time

like this the sitemap should only need to look to the
siteconf.xml stuff?
(in fact in stead of trying to 'merge' the two configs with some
xslt, one could imagine that there is just an ant variable that
points to the actual skinconf file in which case the second one
needs to be as complete of course)

by the way: is the skinconf stuff already in cvs?
I also had the impression that the ?skin=avalon-site wasn't
really working on my generated webapp... What am I missing?

> --Jeff

-marc=