forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [site] News & Status
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:53:28 GMT

St├ęphane Mor wrote:
> Rob Oxspring wrote:
>
>> A while ago there was some talk of updating the news and status pages
>> to be a little more dynamic (although I can't find it in the
>> archives so maybe I was dreaming).  IIRC the main problems that needed
>> resolving were:
>>
>> o    People adding news items and forgetting to update the headlines
>> on the front page.
>> o    The headlines on the front page growing to a long list rather
>> than just the top X items.
>> o    The product & other news all archived in a single page, whereas
>> elsewhere is separate.
>> o    The archive policy being undefined - I.e. we're deep into 2002
>> and have the 'current' page showing items dating from 5 Jan 2001
>>
> I wish at least one developer per project could set up a cron job /
> scheduled job / whatever to update his project's site on a daily basis.
> With Maven & Centipede, which generate pages that change quickly, such
> as changelog reports, this is getting critical.

Over at the sister Xml.Apache project, we have Forrest that is already
working on borrowed outerthought.net hardware to deliver automatic site
updates to the Forrest site via the Forrest bot facility.

Forrest Site:
  http://xml.apache.org/forrest/

Forrest hourly updated from CVS:
  http://www.outerthought.net/forrest/
  mirror:
   http://www.krysalis.org/forrest/

If you note the pages also have a PDF version for printing.

Forrest is skinnable, and can give results like:
   http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/
or
   http://tn5250j.sourceforge.net/
   http://www.krysalis.org/
   http://www.outerthought.net/

If anyone would like to be included in these trial runs to an hourly
generated mirror, please ask directions to forrest-dev@xml.apache.org

We have test plugins for Maven and Centipede too, so that users will be
able to generate documentation locally.

We are eager to hear from you :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -