forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Font too small?
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 19:28:57 GMT
Piroumian Konstantin wrote:
> Incidentally I've found this on the MSDN site:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/access/ac
> cessibility.asp
>
> Seems that 'em' is the supposed unit for accessibility. But I am agree that
> some browsers have problems with it. Even IE, when both em and px are used.

It is not recommended to use 'em' for *font size*, because it is
interpreted as the width of the character "m" (or some sort of
average width) of the current font at tis point. This is not always
reliable interpreted by browsers, and actually it makes much less
sense then percents or points. The em unit is mainly for specifying
widths of margins, table columns and blocks and such.

J.Pietschmann