forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Link-Addressing, and breaking up the sitemap
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:38:31 GMT
Hi Robert,

Robert Koberg wrote:
> Hi,

can't say I fully grasp yet what is in there, just some random
thoughts:
- they look machine generated rather then hand-made
- seem to be relating to one document repository that manages all
'article-ids' (while here we try to get some mechanism to cross
ref between parts coming from different locations we still want
to publish all together)

> I have some incomplete documentation with Relax NG Schemas (I think I generated
> DTDs and W3 Schema) up at:
> http://docs.livestoryboard.com/en_us/manual/config/Overview.html
>

> </snip>
>
>>whadayathink?
>>using the CLI is about "staticalizing" your content.  The webapp
>>does not have this concern, so only the CLI needs to be taking up
>>this concern to 'relativise' all the /-leading references in the
>>produced static content.
>>(At first I mentioned some transformer for this, but 'in office'
>>Steven correctly pointed out that this has only got to do with
>>the use of the crawler.)
>>

> What happens when your static output is PDF or some other binary staticalized :)
> output?

honestly: I have *no* idea.

For static HTML it seems natural to have relative links between
all that sit in one dir with subdirs so they can be moved around
in the vritual root of any webserver at will...

For static pdf it seems natural to have only full fledged http://
links... given the fact that you would maybe download, print,
mail those around? (even harder to realize)

It would not make a lot of sense to me to start browsing around
from pdf to pdf... but who am I?

> -Rob

-marc=