forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Usage of file.hint.ext convention
Date Mon, 02 Sep 2002 13:10:49 GMT

Steven Noels wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Exactly why I brought the vote up.
>>
>> The double ext solution is a quick solution to this problem, what Marc
>> and I regard to as a minor hack.
>>
>> If anyone has better suggestions, please bring them on, because we
>> need to go forward.
>

> Again: why?
>
> I trailed off to some recommended reading:
>
> http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html#remove
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/content-negotiation.html

hehehe:

"
Note on hyperlinks and naming conventions

If you are using language negotiation you can choose between different
naming conventions, because files can have more than one extension, and
the order of the extensions is normally irrelevant (see mod_mime
documentation for details).

A typical file has a MIME-type extension (e.g., html), maybe an encoding
extension (e.g., gz), and of course a language extension (e.g., en) when
we have different language variants of this file.

Examples:

     * foo.en.html
     * foo.html.en
     * foo.en.html.gz
"

> and then some
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/ (draft)
> http://www.imc.org/ietf-xml-use/ (general interest reading)
>
> and came back with the idea that we really need CAPs for grammar-based
> XML processing,

The downside: speed
The solution: caching between runs

> and ResourceExistActions for avoiding name clashes.

The downside: user confusion
The solution: enable only one name in a given dir

> Other than that, I see many flaws because we want to generate static
> HTML, but hey, that's life :-)

That's user need ;-)

See my latest postings if you find some proposed solutions acceptable.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -