forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Usage of file.hint.ext convention
Date Mon, 02 Sep 2002 08:32:47 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Since our users also want to put all the files in a single dir, and
> since Cocoon needs hints about the contents of the file for an easy
> usage, I propose that we formalise the
>
>   file.hint.ext
>
> convention, and keep it also in the output of the files.

<snip />

> Finally, I have already demonstrated how hints don't break IoC and SoC,
> since Cocoon can decide what to do with the hint indipendently from the
> doc writer; it could for example ignore it completely.
>
> It's simply a hint.
>
> +1

+1, by lack of better alternative :-)

with 2-3 more votes like this we could actually (and finally) get
the URL act together.

this gives something for hinting the correct pipeline to use
we still lack:

[From the writing URL - side]
- addressing scheme to use in xdocs (and other) to point to other
resources that _are_ managed by forrest (do pass through the cocoon)
- a mechanism for resulting html to only contain 2 kinds of
links: "http://"-leading  or relative NOT-"/"-leading (we must do
this when generating HTML: it must be able to place that stuff on
any root-url on the webserver of choice, even on CDROMS etc)

[From the defining/interpreting URL -side]
- define which piece of the URL (and how it) is used to locate
source-content for the pipelines
- decide how the URL points to xml not inside ./content/xdcos (ie
outside the control of the documentation editor(s)) and on where
to store/find that content then.

-marc=