forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Nice changes!
Date Sat, 28 Sep 2002 02:49:35 GMT
On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 07:17:10PM +0400, Piroumian Konstantin wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thanks to whoever (Jeff?) fixed/implemented the 'global-path'*) part! Nice
> changes!
>
> A minor issue with tabs: an extra slash appears in the tab URL path and this
> results in 404 error, e.g.:
> http://outerthought.net/forrest//forrest/index.html

Dang, I thought I'd fixed all this :P I'll look into it.

> *) global-path - the global navigation path at the top of the page (apache >
> xml.apache > ...).
>

> Btw, I've committed a new implementation of RequestInputModule to Cocoon,
> which allows to use all the properties of request object and thus the
> context path can be accessed as: {request:contextPath}. My vacation is over,
> so I'll have much less time to implement the proposed SkinconfInputModule,
> but I'll try.

JXPath input modules rock :) Thanks for spending time doing this. I can
probably do the coding, only I'm not sure what's the best way forward.

I have written an XMLModule that allows XPath access to an XML file. I
was thinking we could have a generic Forrest config file:

<forrestconf>
  <skin>forrest-site</skin>
  <base-url>http://localhost:8080/cocoon</base-url>
</forrestconf>

So if, in cocoon.xconf, it is declared with:

<component-instance
    class="org.apache.cocoon.components.modules.input.XMLModule"
    logger="core.modules.xml" name="forrestconf">
  <config>context://forrestconf.xml</config>
</component-instance>

Then the XML file's values are accessible through variables like
{forrestconf:/forrestconf/skin}.

Also, it is possible to use the XML file as input to the
DefaultsMetaModule:

<component-instance
    class="org.apache.cocoon.components.modules.input.DefaultsMetaModule"
    name="defaults">
  <input-module name="forrestconf"/>
    <values>
      <skin>forrest-site</skin>
      <base-url>/forrest</base-url>
      </values>
    </component-instance>
  </input-modules>
</component-instance>

It's still a bit buggy though, because if the XML file doesn't exist I
get an exception.

Anyway, does this sound like the right road to be following?

--Jeff