forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Adopt build.build.xml
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2002 03:14:04 GMT
Hi,

I'd like to propose that build.build.xml be made the official build
script, by:

 - renaming build.xml to build-old.xml
 - renaming build.build.xml to build.xml

I've been using and developing this {build,forrest}.build.xml combo for
about a month now, and it works pretty well. Particularly, the latest
skinconf changes have been made to forrest.build.xml, not build.xml. I'd
like to officially adopt the new system now so that I can start
documenting it.

For those sleeping the last month, some history:

The current build.xml mixes two concerns:

 - Building "Forrest"
 - Building the Forrest website

build.xml is thus impossible to use for external projects. Perhaps
because of this, the forrestbot effort became the main tool for external
projects.

About a month ago, Marc took build.xml and broke it into functional halves:

build.build.xml  --> Responsible for creating a "Forrest Binary Distribution"
forrest.build.xml --> Part of the binary distribution; responsible for
building a project's docs.

The idea being, that you can install the Forrest binary distribution in
/usr/local/forrest or wherever, and then build any project you want with
it, by invoking forrest.build.xml from Ant:

<target name="site" description="Build a static website">
  <ant antfile="${forrest.home}/forrest.build.xml" target="site"/>
</target>

or by running /usr/local/forrest/bin/forrest.sh

--Jeff