forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Use of src/resources/*
Date Mon, 23 Sep 2002 12:47:41 GMT
Hi,

A little proposal, formalizing something that already almost exists..

In Forrest, say we have the following directories:

xml-forrest/src/resources/conf
xml-forrest/src/resources/images      (just added)
xml-forrest/src/resources/schema
xml-forrest/src/resources/stylesheets (hypothetical)

How about we say that projects can have a mirrored set of directories:

src/documentation/resources/conf
src/documentation/resources/images
src/documentation/resources/schema
src/documentation/resources/stylesheets

And in the final webapp or docs, the two sets are merged together, with
the user's files taking precedence.

The purpose of this is to let users override anything they want in
Forrest. What Forrest provides are just defaults. Eg, if my project
contains:

src/documentation/resources/conf/logkit.xconf

Then it will override the Forrest equivalent.

More generally, the idea is that the Forrest resource layout should match
as closely as possible the layout that users will use in their projects.

--Jeff