forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: No more @skin@ in sitemap (Re: cvs commit: xml-forrest/src/resources/conf cocoon.xconf sitemap.xmap)
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:03:36 GMT
On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 02:16:36PM +0200, Marc Portier wrote:
> >>mmm, would it not be easier for the bot to generate the active
> >>skinconf.xml file based on the local skinconf and possibly
> >>overriding any variables in there with values supplied at
> >>(bot)-generation time
> >

> >But skinconf.xml does not select the skin, so auto-generating is won't do
> >any good.
> >
> didn't catch that, sorry...

On the topic of How to Fix the Bot, I was saying the fix need not have
anything to do with skinconf.xml.

> I was refering to your idea of having a skinconf oriented
> inputmodule (that's how these are called right?)

Not sure why we'd need it for skinconf (skinconf != skin selection). It's
just a possibility floating around. ie if you ever need access to an XML
file's values inside the sitemap, be nice to Konstantin and he can write
you an InputModule :)

> so maybe this remark just pushes for a different name for the
> beast then :-)
>
> Could there be a this-run-modifying-config.xml (maybe a simple
> props file could suffice?) that is read in through these
> inputmodules? so we get to have some {forrest:skin}  inside the
> sitemap?

That's exactly what we need. That fictional cocoon.xconf snippet was an
implementation idea for this.

> then you could give the -D or ant props (for conf file location
> or for actual prop-values) to the forrest.build.xml which would
> produce the required this-run-modifying-config.xml to be picked
> up by the sitemap?

Yes, or just 'java org.apache.cocoon.Main -Dskin=forrest-site ... '

--Jeff