forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: No more @skin@ in sitemap (Re: cvs commit: xml-forrest/src/resources/conf cocoon.xconf sitemap.xmap)
Date Wed, 18 Sep 2002 02:44:18 GMT
On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 05:10:55PM +0200, Marc Portier wrote:

> - what does this tell about the somewhat promised "skinconf.xml"?

skinconf.xml is just a bunch of declarative data about the user's
project. It can be used to configure any skin. It doesn't specify which
skin to use, so there is no overlap with the new {defaults:skin}
variable.

However, in the future if we do need to access skinconf data from the
sitemap, we can write a SkinconfInputModule, providing variables like
{skinconf:project-name}, {skinconf:project-url} etc.

> - this puts some pressure on how the bot is working: we gave the
> runner of the bot the opportunity to choose the skin of the
> generated stuff (independant of what the project-content-creator
> would of thought)

IMHO that's a Good Thing. The skin should not be specified in
src/documentation/*.

Perhaps there is a ConfigurationModule, containing the -D properties set at the
command-line. So {config:skin} would contain the variable set by -Dskin=...
Then we could have:

<component-instance
     class="org.apache.cocoon.components.modules.input.DefaultsMetaModule"
     name="defaults">
  <input-module name="request"/> <!-- First use request params -->
  <input-module name="config"/>  <!-- .. Then fall back to config params -->
  <values>                       <!-- .. Otherwise use defaults -->
    <skin>forrest-site</skin>
    <base-url>/forrest</base-url>
   </values>
</component-instance>

Umm. Slightly fictional but I don't see how else to fix the bot.

--Jeff