forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Jeff Turner
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:17:51 GMT
On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 12:43:41PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Morrison, John wrote:
> >So far:
> >
> >Stefano Mazzocchi
> >Sam Ruby
> >John Morrison        +1
> >David Crossley
> >Steven Noels         +1
>
>  Nicola Ken Barozzi    +1
>
> If history tells me something, once getting karma Jeff will stop
> contributing ;-)

<g> just 'cause I callously ditched Centipede ;) Really, you should ask
before signing up people, and I would have explained about helping Ovidiu
with Anteater and politely declined.

> but hey, al least he can apply the current patches ;-P
>
> >Bert Van Kets        +1
> >
> >People not in status.xml!
> >
> >Konstantin Piroumian +1
> >Marc Portier

Thanks for the votes :) I'd count myself honoured to be among people who
care about project doc quality, and share my liking of Cocoon, XML
schemata, metadata, XML catalogs, and all things pointy-tagged.

The reason I'm here: I think Forrest could be pure gold; Cocoon's killer
app. Every project needs a website, and as an integrated publishing
system, nothing comes close to Cocoon. Cocoon can "scale" from static
sites to dynamic sites. Once we've got wikis, user feedback modules,
forums etc plugged into Forrest, it's going to be uniquely powerful. Plug
in a CMS, and you've got what Zope ought to be :)

Then throw in lots of metadata, add an inference engine, and a Forrest
sites goes from being a static collection of docs to a mini semantic web.
It's a tragic waste to write a site in XML, and then use that XML only to
generate HTML. See Stefano's "Toward The Semantic Web" at
http://www.apache.org/~stefano/papers/

But back to reality; Forrest is currently *far* too hard to use. It took
me 3 weeks to get this piddly aft.sf.net site up, and even then I cheated
and used wget instead of the crawler. It is big and slow, and writing a
small site feels like using the proverbial 10 pound hammer to crack a
nut. So usability and "mass appeal" is where I'd like to focus my
attention first, with things like the Maven plugin.

Ie, I see Forrest as a hugely promising project suffering from crippling
usability problems, backed by a bunch of top-notch, dedicated developers
who see what Forrest _could_ be, and persevere because of that.

--Jeff