forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Semantic linking (Re: [VOTE] Usage of file.hint.ext convention)
Date Mon, 02 Sep 2002 16:26:03 GMT
On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 05:43:49PM +0200, Steven Noels wrote:

> >I think your "primer.xml" is the same as my "primer". They're both
> >identifiers, independent of MIME type. Only difference is, "primer.xml"
> >as an identifier would look silly outside a filesystem, eg in an XML db.
>
> Also: think of rendering raw XML example documents.

Good point. Although of course we could have "urn:forrest:<resourcename>"
URIs if for some reason dots become desirable.

> Yep, I think we should stick to the behaviour described in your mail:
> only name/identifiers in href attrs and optionally overriding the
> context-dependent mimetype/rendition.

Well summed up.

> How should we bind mimetypes with rendition extension and URIs?

Traditionally it's done through /etc/mime.types files. IIRC the JavaMail
API includes a parser and classes for playing with mime.types and mailcap
files.

2am.. goodnight :)

--Jeff