forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Konstantin Piroumian" <KPiroum...@protek.com>
Subject Re: Nice changes!
Date Sun, 29 Sep 2002 17:37:39 GMT
From: "Jeff Turner" <jefft@apache.org>
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 07:17:10PM +0400, Piroumian Konstantin wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Thanks to whoever (Jeff?) fixed/implemented the 'global-path'*) part!
Nice
> > changes!
> >
> > A minor issue with tabs: an extra slash appears in the tab URL path and
this
> > results in 404 error, e.g.:
> > http://outerthought.net/forrest//forrest/index.html
>
> Dang, I thought I'd fixed all this :P I'll look into it.
>
> > *) global-path - the global navigation path at the top of the page
(apache >
> > xml.apache > ...).
> >

> > Btw, I've committed a new implementation of RequestInputModule to
Cocoon,
> > which allows to use all the properties of request object and thus the
> > context path can be accessed as: {request:contextPath}. My vacation is
over,
> > so I'll have much less time to implement the proposed
SkinconfInputModule,
> > but I'll try.
>
> JXPath input modules rock :) Thanks for spending time doing this. I can
> probably do the coding, only I'm not sure what's the best way forward.
>
> I have written an XMLModule that allows XPath access to an XML file. I
> was thinking we could have a generic Forrest config file:
>
> <forrestconf>
>   <skin>forrest-site</skin>
>   <base-url>http://localhost:8080/cocoon</base-url>
> </forrestconf>
>
> So if, in cocoon.xconf, it is declared with:
>
> <component-instance
>     class="org.apache.cocoon.components.modules.input.XMLModule"
>     logger="core.modules.xml" name="forrestconf">
>   <config>context://forrestconf.xml</config>
> </component-instance>
>
> Then the XML file's values are accessible through variables like
> {forrestconf:/forrestconf/skin}.

Cool!
I was thinking about XMLModule exactly this way. If it's ready then I can
commit it to Cocoon on Monday. It can be useful not only for Forrest.

> Also, it is possible to use the XML file as input to the
> DefaultsMetaModule:
>
> <component-instance
>     class="org.apache.cocoon.components.modules.input.DefaultsMetaModule"
>     name="defaults">
>   <input-module name="forrestconf"/>
>     <values>
>       <skin>forrest-site</skin>
>       <base-url>/forrest</base-url>
>       </values>
>     </component-instance>
>   </input-modules>
> </component-instance>
>
> It's still a bit buggy though, because if the XML file doesn't exist I
> get an exception.

What do you expect to do if the XML file doesn't exist? I think that having
an exception in that case is the best handling. Of course if the xception
has a meaningful message.

> Anyway, does this sound like the right road to be following?

Definitely.

Konstantin