forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Marc Portier" <...@outerthought.org>
Subject RE: Impossible to integrate PDF documents in forrest site?
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:30:48 GMT

there was even mentioning of more then two at the moment the idea
got me going ....
<snip
from="http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=1029759626196
43&w=2">
Next to that I don't see why there would be no room for something
like
testresult.metric.svg.jpg?

Looking at it from this angle the multiple parts of the new
extension become like a route or a trail describing how to
get from *.metric.xml to jpg via svg. (Supposing there could
be more then one route)
</snip>

> The output of Forrest will never show the internal
> extension, it's only
> a hint to the pipelines about the content of the file.

jap.

> We can also decide that it's lacking it, a default
> pipeline will be used.
>
> ie:
>
>    generate.xdoc.pdf (means that I want a pdf from a
> xdoc pipeline)
>    generate.pdf (means that I want a pdf from the
> default pipeline)
>
> Both will generate
>
>    generate.pdf

not really: there will be a different file on your HD, pretty
much like the *.dtdx.html files from the DTD examples to date.
see http://outerthought.net/forrest/document-v11.dtdx.html

> And all links will be
>
>    <link href="generate.pdf"/>

I'm missing something... how do you see it cocoon decide between
more then one now?
My proposal would be to have 3 different links (thus 3 different
files on HD)

But maybe I just gave you the idea to get all out of it?

> The only argument *against* this is that if I have
>
>    generate.xdoc.pdf
>    generate.myformat.pdf
>    generate.pdf
>
> what will be the result from Cocoon?

I think we're talking about slightly different things...
please explain...

The multi-dot file extensions feels a bit odd to me as well, but
I don't see how we could go without.
(of course we could use just dashes or something:
generate-xdoc.pdf but then '-' become reserved inside filenames)
Maybe it is just one of those things one needs to get working
with?

> We loose the 1-1 mapping between input and output,

I think the only 1-1 we need to borrow is the 'finding &
addressing' part of the URI.

> lest we put up a
> system to check for it.
>
> --