forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Piroumian Konstantin <KPiroum...@protek.com>
Subject RE: Impossible to integrate PDF documents in forrest site?
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:18:07 GMT
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
> Bruno Dumon wrote:
> > Just stumbled on the following problem: I have a PDF that I
> would like
> > to be part of a forrest-based site, so I just placed a link
> to it from a
> > document, hoping the crawler would also fetch the pdf.
> >
> > However, I quickly realised that this is impossible, since
> the sitemap
> > already contains a pdf matcher for generating pdf's of the documents
> > (xdocs) themselves.
> >
> > So unless I add the special matcher that matches this pdf,
> or give all
> > my pdf's some special name-prefix or suffix which I match,
> there's no
> > way to do this, right?
>
> IMHO we should just add a matcher that matches every
>
>     context://include/**

>     /content/include/**/*.*
>
> so that we can easily include static content.

IMHO there must be special matcher for static PDFs (*.pdf) and a separate
matcher for Printer-friendly (maybe *.prnt or something like that). Printer
friendly does not always mean PDF, it can be a simplified HTML version of
the same doc.

Another solution is to use an action that will check if there is a file
ready to server and if not found then only generate PDF on fly (and maybe
store the file).

Just quick thoughts...

Konstantin