forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cross-project integration w/ Maven (Re: [wip] refactoring the build.)
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:04:51 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:

>>>Not explicitly, though IIRC some plugins do offer
>>>remote deployment, and
>>>Maven's reactor lets you run targets in multiple
>>>projects, taking into account
>>>inter-project dependencies.
>>>

>>this does interest me, some directed pointer to a doc that
>>explains more?
>

> There are no formal docs on the reactor, just some emails[1] and IRC
> logs. Currently it's like a  <foreach> tag that iterates over projects,
> sorts them by inter-project dependency, and runs some targets.

Hmmm... ever heard of Gump? ;-)

> Here's an
> impressive demonstration of inter-project consistency:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/~jvanzyl/jakarta-commons/index.html

Impressive? Yeah, if I have all the docs in the same format I can do
that with a couple of lines in an Ant buildfile.

> Here is the Commons maven.xml file that generates that site:
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons/maven.xml?rev=1.5&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>
>>>From various emails[2,3], it sounds like they want to extend Maven to be
> a Cruisecontrol-like continuous integration tool, replacing Gump, doing
> nightly builds etc.

Gump already does it, nothing new under the sun.
Centipede uses Gump descriptors for regular compilation, so that they
can be kept more uptodate.

> In other words, Maven is well on it's way to achieving many of the goals
> in Forrest's "dream list". That's why I think Forrest as a tightly
> integrated Maven plugin would be pretty neat.

Forrest will remain Forrest, which means that it must me able to work
  - by itself
  - in Ant
  - in Maven
  - you name it

Forrest is already working as a bot since some time now.

That's why I think Maven as a tightly integrated Forrest plugin would be
pretty neat. ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -