forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XHTML2 I have read it and I like it... GO READ IT!
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:37:38 GMT

David Crossley wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>An interesting article on XHTML2, for those who don't
>>want to read the spec :-P
>>
>>http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/08/07/deviant.html
>>
>>Since there has been quite a good reception on switching the documentDTD
>>over to a profile of XHTML2wd, I think that maybe the best thing could
>>be to make a branch, change there the DTD, check that it all works, and
>>ask a vote for a branch switch.
>>
>>What do you think?
>
> I think that you are reading a lot into a short discussion.

We have already discussed a *lot* about using XHTML modules in Forrest,
and I understood that it was agreed to try them.
Also, we had decided to merge all links into one, make the class
attribute available, and look at the libre effort.

> We should wait until there are some DTDs available. We need
> the next Working Draft.

Why?
We already have our DTD, we just need to shange *some* tags to conform
for now, so that the changes we have *already* decided to make are done
in conformance to the draft.
Since we *have* to do them soo, IMNSHO it's better to do them according
to the spec, which is surely more near to what it will be like than our
current DTD.

> Also i browsed their recent discussion
> archives and this makes me feel that it is too early.

Too early to make our DTD *similar*?
Too early for what?

> We need to allow time for more discussion on whether this is
> the way to go. Some prime Forrest people are away.

As I said from the start, there will be no vote till all of the Forrest
developers can have their say, and after a good discussion.

And I haven't yet heard from you.

> When it does come time for this, is it better to experiment
> in Forrest's scratchpad, rather than manage branches?
> We already have some scratchpad build targets for doing
> transformation and processing of other document types.

But this is about converting all the documentation in XHTML, should I
copy all of it in scratchapd?

OH well, let's wait for Steven to come back even only to discuss, or the
sky will fall...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -