forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XHTML2 I have read it and I like it... GO READ IT!
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:53:57 GMT
An interesting article on XHTML2, for those who don't want to read the
spec :-P

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/08/07/deviant.html

Since there has been quite a good reception on switching the documentDTD
  over to a profile of XHTML2wd, I think that maybe the best thing could
be to make a branch, change there the DTD, check that it all works, and
ask a vote for a branch switch.

What do you think?

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Bruno Dumon wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the feedback, Nicola.
>>
>> When I was writing my message I was thinking about pure documentation.
>>
>> However, it seems that the forrest dtd should be more some kind of
>> intermediate format between the content sources and the actual
>> presentation. In that case, I think that it urgently needs more
>> flexibility and features, and html is then of course the logical and
>> appropriate choice.
>

> Yes.
> General documentation can be written directly via this dtd, and also
> general content can use this, but more specific DTDs can simply use this
>  in some parts (see faq and howto DTDs) or simply use it as an
> intermediate format (JavadocXML).
>
>> BTW, as for html 4 and the deprecated presentation markup: it was
>> already removed in the strict dtd, which is the recommended one. Of
>> course xhtml2 is still cleaner in that regard.
>

> Yup :-)

>> [big snip]

             - verba volant, scripta manent -