forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <>
Subject Re: [RT] Instead of XHTML 1.0, why don't we implement a subset of the XHTML 2.0 proposal?
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 21:34:25 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> XHTML 2.0 proposal currently has <section> elements and navigation lists!
> Oh, and also href to every tag and xforms and removal of deprecated tags!
> Hey, why don't we follow this, it's *darn* close to DocumentDTD!

(I'm not here ;-)

I took a *deep* look into XHTML 1.0 and 1.1 (the modular thing) over the
past week, and it seemed quite difficult to me to import only portions
of it inside our existing doc-v11 DTD. I see XHTML2 is being build up
from the same modular stuff, so either we drop doc-v11 and move to
XHTML2, or we stick to doc-v11 for legacy purposes.

Since we haven't come to any official release for the DTD yet (my fault,
I know), hence we haven't gone through the burden of convincing people
to use our DTD and upgrade their docs accordingly, I don't know whether
we are ready to throw what we have overboard.

Personally, and not because I feel kind of responsible for doc-v11, I'd
prefer to nurture them for a little while and see how they are adopted.
Some people have been mailing the list and privately about their
intention to use the Forrest DTDs - I don't want to alienate them (yet).

Steven Noels