forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: Inclusion of CocoBlog in scratchpad
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 09:25:24 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:

> And yes, I realize, this is like saying: if you aren't going to download
> and install it yourself, I'm going to feed it to you. Or, in other
> words, if the mountain doesn't come to Mehemet, Mehmet will go to the
> mountain ;-)

I understand your reasoning.

"However:"... Pollo is an opensource XML editor app specifically tuned
for Cocoon sitemap editing. It has a small community (users only) and a
license compliant with ASL. We would like to expand the user's base,
though. Does this mean we should try to find some justification for
adding it to the Cocoon code base? IMO, no.

This might sound harsh, but it is not the intention. I think a lot of
Cocoon-related projects would benefit from being grouped under one
umbrella: WikiLand, CocoBlog, Pollo (maybe - though it isn't really
Cocoon-based), XMLForm, SlashEdit, the authentication stuff, etc etc
Hence www.mozdev.org.

Basically everything which shouldn't reside in core. Scratchpad projects
give the false impression their content will be migrated in a
modularized way to the core sources, but in reality scratchpad is an
incubator for classes which will be dispersed *across* the entire codebase.

</Steven>