forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: Inclusion of CocoBlog in scratchpad
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 20:25:29 GMT
Ugo Cei wrote:

> I've recently begun rewriting it in order to reach the following
> objectives:
>
> - move to C2.1
> - move from Xindice to HSQLDB
> - support multiple blogs and multiple authors
> - exploit the authentication framework

those are Good Things (tm) :-)

<snip/>

> What is CocoBlog made of? A generator, an action, a subsitemap with some
> XSP and XSL files, a couple of HSQLDB tables. The impact on the
> stability of C2.1 should be nil.
>
> Let me know what you think. I'm leaving for my summer holidays from
> August 15th to September 3rd, and I'd like to send someone the necessary
> files before I leave.

CocoBlog could be the prime example of a drop-in Cocoon application
(dare I say 'block'?). If we add it to the distribution, we miss the
opportunity of showing off plug&play installation of a Cocoon-based app.

Furthermore, continuing to add new mini-apps *inside* the already
existing (huge) codebase diminishes the chance for them being worked
upon, IMHO. I'd prefer a constellation of Cocoon apps that are taken
care off individually by their own little communities, rather than a
huge codebase with loads of committers that are stepping onto each other
toes or come and go as they please. And I'm quite sure the core Cocoon
committers would love it when they have less graveyard code to look
after [1].

Hence http://www.mozdev.org/projects.html - If someone is willing to
*seriously* discuss providing such a service to the Cocoon community,
please contact me off-list (I'm offline for the next two weeks starting
on Friday, though.)

> P.S.: I've cc-ed forrest-dev. Maybe a blog might be useful for forrest,
> maybe not.

We are always happy when someone thinks off us :-)

Cheers, hope I didn't offend anyone - with the best of my intentions as
always.

</Steven>

________
[1] I don't want to say that CocoBlog is or will eventually become
graveyard code, Ugo!!! But I'm pretty sure you understand what I mean -
there are already some unmaintained code sections in Cocoon CVS.