forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Cross-project integration w/ Maven (Re: [wip] refactoring the build.)
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:34:02 GMT
On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 01:33:48PM +0200, Marc Portier wrote:
> > > (as I tried to explain in an earlier posting: this
> > > centralized/remote running of stuff in fact addresses
> > > cross-project metapattern: maving doing that?)

> > Not explicitly, though IIRC some plugins do offer
> > remote deployment, and
> > Maven's reactor lets you run targets in multiple
> > projects, taking into account
> > inter-project dependencies.
> >

> this does interest me, some directed pointer to a doc that
> explains more?

There are no formal docs on the reactor, just some emails[1] and IRC
logs. Currently it's like a  <foreach> tag that iterates over projects,
sorts them by inter-project dependency, and runs some targets. Here's an
impressive demonstration of inter-project consistency:

http://jakarta.apache.org/~jvanzyl/jakarta-commons/index.html

Here is the Commons maven.xml file that generates that site:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons/maven.xml?rev=1.5&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

>From various emails[2,3], it sounds like they want to extend Maven to be
a Cruisecontrol-like continuous integration tool, replacing Gump, doing
nightly builds etc.

In other words, Maven is well on it's way to achieving many of the goals
in Forrest's "dream list". That's why I think Forrest as a tightly
integrated Maven plugin would be pretty neat.

--Jeff

[3] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=102992940308157&w=2