forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <>
Subject Re: [RT] Instead of XHTML 1.0, why don't we implement a subset of the XHTML 2.0 proposal?
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2002 05:43:59 GMT
On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 08:20:01AM +1000, Kevin O'Neill wrote:
> {snip]
> > I took a *deep* look into XHTML 1.0 and 1.1 (the modular thing) over the
> > past week, and it seemed quite difficult to me to import only portions
> > of it inside our existing doc-v11 DTD. I see XHTML2 is being build up
> > from the same modular stuff, so either we drop doc-v11 and move to
> > XHTML2, or we stick to doc-v11 for legacy purposes.

  "The Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Simple Hypertext DTD (IBTWSH) is an XML
  Document Type Definition (DTD) which describes a subset of XHTML Basic
  for embedded use within other XML DTDs."

Unfortunately the referred site has vanished :( I'll contact the author.
Attached is a Relax NG version, which I've imported into my own schemas

<grammar ...
<include href="ibtwsh6.rng">
  <start combine="choice">
    <ref name="project"/>
<define name="project">

How about Forrest adopting RNG as the primary schema format, and then
generating DTDs with James Clark's translator[1] ?

> I recently had to do the same thing. My solution, switch from using DTDs for
> specification and validation and instead use
> RelaxNG ( James Clark has
> created xhtml 1.1 grammars They are
> so easy to combine, for example xhtml basic looks like this:
> <grammar ns=""
>          xmlns="">
> <include href="modules/datatypes.rng"/>
> <include href="modules/attribs.rng"/>
> <include href="modules/struct.rng"/>
> <include href="modules/text.rng"/>
> <include href="modules/hypertext.rng"/>
> <include href="modules/list.rng"/>
> <include href="modules/basic-form.rng"/>
> <include href="modules/basic-table.rng"/>
> <include href="modules/image.rng"/>
> <include href="modules/param.rng"/>
> <include href="modules/object.rng"/>
> <include href="modules/meta.rng"/>
> <include href="modules/link.rng"/>
> <include href="modules/base.rng"/>
> </grammar>
> I've begun to switch more and more of my grammar relaxng it's one of those you use
> it once and you never go back (a little like xslt really ;))
> -k.

View raw message