forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Marc Portier" <...@outerthought.org>
Subject [patch][wip] more partial work done on templates.build.xml
Date Fri, 26 Jul 2002 08:50:58 GMT
hoping to finalize this evening, in the mean time there is another quick and
early to look at

mainly because I currently don't have the setup for the deploy.scp testing
(which is copying what nicola and steven have setup for the forrest on
krysalis)
could someone check if that is OK?

changes:
- in build.xml
  I started thinking about the generation of logs, not finished yet though
- in forrestbot.conf.xml
  added second project to test the local stuff (seems to work)
- templates.build.xml
  the work in progress...
- config2work.xsl
  is carrying the non change after reverting back the attempt for logs

the new stuff then:
- local get-src and deploy
- deploy scp
- testing on 2 parallel projects (fun to see the <parallel> of ant work so
well
- check yourself with build clean bot

questions:
- for the log: we're now delegating to work.projectname by using <antcall>
  (since it is in the same file)... I'ld like to change that to <ant> so I
  can dump the log via the @output.
  See no reason why it shouldn't work.  A sendlog will just send the log
  to wherever the forrestbot.conf.xml is saying (any ideas on where to put
it
  there, I was thinking @sendlogto on the <project>
- as stated above: can someone check the scp stuff
- who and why would consider it usefull that one configured <project>
  would have more then one <get-src> and more then one <deploy>
- still thinking about the cvs checkout cache... more comments?
<snip>
> > have some dream of forrestbot maybe holding a cache of the
> cvsmodules he's
> > regulary updating (delta's rather then full checkouts?) so the
> cache would
> > be kept, and the context dir swept clean on each run of the bot?
>
> we can keep the cvs check-outs for that purpose, no? when you do an
> update/checkout afterwards, only the changed files are updated

that's the idea, only I should change the dirnames for that

now it is .../cvsmodules/[projectname]/[modulename]
and I think .../cvsmodules/[hostname]/[modulename]/[branchname]
would be better for this purpose?
which reminds me: todo for checking out based on branch
</snip>

upcoming work (more wip)
- provide deploy.cvs template
- refactor build.xml to use the _templates_
- write a document on TheContract for people to use forrest
  (not like the primer explaining, more a checklist, Bert can maybe
   incorporate in his effort?)
- double-check the todo's just about everywhere around
- check on the 'clean' requirement david posted in another thread.
- more comments in the config2work.xsl needed
- check on cvs checkout based on branch
- check on cvs checkout cache

dream future:
- Ian's discussion on other DTD's might be opened up to 'extending the
contract'
  Looking at the build process now: I hope we could snap in new or extend
existing
  workstage-templates easily to gain in flexibility while retaining the ease
of use