forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Marc Portier" <...@outerthought.org>
Subject RE: [patch][wip] partial work done on templates.build.xml
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:38:35 GMT
> > should be able to get more finished tonight (off-line though)
> > but since the current bundle seems to work partially (and not
> break previous
> > stuff)...
>
> release early & often, they said ;-)

trying, it is taking some time to get it consistent
(not mentioning the time in learning to understand the current build
process)

> > would appreciate if someone could apply the patch
>
> done

thx

> > - changes to build.xml
> >   - are not on existing stuff yet (although there could be some
> renaming and
> > repositioning done, xuse me)
>
> no problems encountered, your local build must have been reasonably up
> to date or the patch tool is smarter than we assume :-)

euh, I did an update and local merge, plus extra test just before the
diff -u of course
<snip />

> > - also after the cvs actions files are locally copied to the
> context dir, I
> > have some dream of forrestbot maybe holding a cache of the
> cvsmodules he's
> > regulary updating (delta's rather then full checkouts?) so the
> cache would
> > be kept, and the context dir swept clean on each run of the bot?
>
> we can keep the cvs check-outs for that purpose, no? when you do an
> update/checkout afterwards, only the changed files are updated

that's the idea, only I should change the dirnames for that

now it is .../cvsmodules/[projectname]/[modulename]
and I think .../cvsmodules/[hostname]/[modulename]/[branchname]
would be better for this purpose?
which reminds me: todo for checking out based on branch

> > - I'm not putting in the WEB-INF/classes in each distinct project,
> >   instead I choose to share one among all central builds
> >   (seems to work, please comment)
> > - there is no filter @token@-translations on stuff in documentation dirs
> > (see other discussion today)
> >
> > upcoming work (more wip)
> > - provide deploy templates
> >   (scp and local copy are on the list, others?)
>
> cvs put - although setup will be much more complicated if at all
> possible ... but currently it is the de-facto standard for updating
> Apache websites (not that we should stick with the past - but we will
> have to seriously motivate why we are dropping this method)

of course, thx for reminding.
issue on the password though, can we assume that there will be a .cvspass?

> > - provide template for local-copy get-src

done by now, fun to see the <parallel> in ant work on two separate projects
now...
xml-forrest and xml-forrest-local

> > - refactor build.xml to use the defaults
> > - double-check the todo's just about everywhere around
> >
> > oh, as for what is already done:
> > after patching go for > build clean bot
> > and find the forrest docs inside ./build/bot/xml-forrest/docs
>
> it does work, except for some image errors, and loads of cache write
> errors due to excessive lengthy filenames:
>
>    getting links: .ERROR   2002-07-25 21:10:51.124 [core.sto] (): Error
> storing object on fs
> java.io.FileNotFoundException:
> ..\work\cache-dir\PCK%3ACCK%3A1file%20-%20file%3A%2FC%3A%2Fcygwin%2Fh
> ome%2Fstevenn%2Fprojects%2Fxml-forrest%2Fbuild%2Fbot%2Fprojects%2F
> xml-forres\t%2Fcontext%2F%2E%2Fcon
> tent%2Fxdocs%2Fbook%2Exml%3ACCK%3A3xslt%20-%20file%3A%2FC%3A%2Fcyg
> win%2Fhome%2Fstevenn%2Fprojects%2F
> xml\-forrest%2Fbuild%2Fbot%2Fprojects%2Fxml-forrest%2Fcontext%2F%2
> E%2Fskins%2Fbert%2Fxslt%2Fhtml%2Fb
> ook2menu%2Exsl%3Bisfaq%3D%3Bre\source%3Dtodo%2Ehtml%3ACCK%3A3xslt%
> 20-%20file%3A%2FC%3A%2Fcygwin%2Fho
> me%2Fstevenn%2Fprojects%2Fxml-forrest%2Fbuild%2Fbot%2Fpro\jects%2F
> xml-forrest%2Fcontext%2F%2E%2Flibr
> ary%2Fxslt%2Ffilterlinks%2Exsl (The filename or extension is too long)
>
> I'll check tomorrow if this problem is solved using the JISP store (I
> was thinking this was the already default for Forrest - has this changed
> and who did so?)

do you get it also on the build docs is my main concern?
a bit worried about the shared /WEB-INF/ still although I see no reason why
it shouldn't work

untill the next,
-marc=