forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Piroumian Konstantin <KPiroum...@protek.com>
Subject RE: Need todo list for Cocoon transition
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2002 12:57:32 GMT
> From: Steven Noels [mailto:stevenn@outerthought.org]
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> >>yep (and please refrain from building your own skin ;-)
> >

> > Why do you say that? I imagine that many projects will not
> > want the default Forrest skin and will want to use their own.
> > I do understand that for this stage of Forrest it would be
> > far easier to just stick with the default.
>
> Both easiness and consistency, IMO. One of the goals of Forrest is to
> have a uniform xml.apache.org website. The skinning system is mainly
> targeted towards projects externally to xml.apache.org.

I like the 'bert' skin and I think that there will be no problems in
cocoon-dev if we use it for Cocoon site & docs. I'd like to use it also for
the samples, but that requires time than I don't have ATM.

> > Has Forrest yet decided how broad is the scope of its skin?
>
> Nope - but that's my feeling towards it. Am I wrong?
>
> > I am confused as to the intention. Is the skin just for
> > Forrest home and community docs, or does it apply to all
> > projects?
>
> All xml.apache.org projects IMO.

I think so too. They are already using a uniform skin, so using another and
better one sould not cause any problems. Current skin and the build system
suports anything that is used on all xml.apache projects (no tabs nor
'global paths'(tm))

> >>IMO, the 'bert' skin is the obvious choice right now

[...]
> >>you will need to add some tabs, I believe, but that's dead simple.
> >

> > As far as i can tell, tabs do not work yet.
>
> Oops. Bert, can you confirm this?

They work, but you have to perform some hacky things to make them behave as
expected. The problem is that the links on tabs use context dependent paths
(and not relative), so you should rebuild the site for all the deployment
locations. Shorty, you need to specify the 'forrest' part of the URL for the
'http://xml.apache.org/forrest', so the links could look like:
'/forrest/community/howto'.

> >>yep

> versions of Cocoon
> with Cocoon 2.1;
> Forrest-generated
> build their own
> branches, don't we?
> >>
> >>there's no concept of CVS branches inside project.xtarget
> right now, but
> >>it should be possible to add those and run Forrest across
> both branches
> >>- something we should add to the forrest.xconf descriptor, I guess.

> feasible?
> >>
> >>When is that beta 'planned'?
> >

> > The cocoon/plan/release.xml says
> >  August/September 2002 : Release date for 2.1 Alpha 1
> > No mention of further releases as yet.
>
> Ah. Plenty of time :-)

Not everywhere ;)
We have also a release date somewhere in September (a project that is
neither Forrest nor Cocoon related). I'll try to participate as much as
possible. I would really like to have better Cocoon site & docs:

<dreaming mode="on">
Supporting pagination, single/multi-page views, PDF docs, better navigation,
integration with other resources like JavaDocs, CVS, news/calendars,
sites-docs-archives search, editable content (revisions, snippets,etc.)
</dreaming>

But my help won't be as much as I wished to.

Konstantin