forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: FW: What is Forrest's Focus
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:15:34 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

Hi Berin,

> Not wanting to start any flamewars, but I would like to know
> that the bottom line focus of Fortress is.  Is it strictly
                                 ^^^^^^^^
Hey, it's Forrest over here, not Avalon ;-)

> managing a site in an intelligent manner, or is it a full
> build system?

The FW: in your subject worries me: I don't want to know where the
original remark originates from...

Our main (only?) focus is documentation creation, management and
publication. We won't do Java compile/test/deploy - that's where Ant has
been designed for, maybe packaged in a Centipede setup. I know there
exists other tools out there that present a more unified view of the
world - we don't have such ambitions.

> "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
> temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Exactly Forrest's idea :-)

We hope to provide people with tools & documentation so that they can
configure Forrest to their own needs, even maybe adding their own
doctypes and the like, our contract is very light-weight:
http://outerthought.net/forrest/forrest-contract.html

HTH,

</Steven>