forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: FW: Apache XML project left side bar.
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:06:46 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> It's the second or third time I forward this to the XML general mailing
> list... Is someone still taking care of the "main" website?
>
>     Pier

<bold words>
Some time ago, I migrated the main pages of xml.apache.org to the new
document-v11.dtd under development inside the Forrest project. I added
those cleaned up (they were *very* messy) docs to our CVS and the 'new'
frontpage of xml.apache.org is being republished using Forrest every
some hours on http://outerthought.net/forrest/xml-site/ and
http://www.krysalis.org/forrest/xml-site/. They are published using
local copy (the forrestbot runs on outerthought.net) and scp (to
krysalis - sourceforge webfarm).

We have been looking at cvs as a publication mechanism but consider this
to be unfeasible. Updating existing files isn't really a problem, it is
creating new directories and adding new files in an automated manner. If
anyone knows of an Ant-able application which does rsync-like operations
across CVS, please let us know.

What can we do to alleviate this situation:

1) nuke the website XML content from /home/cvs/xml-site/sources/website/
2) replace it with what is inside
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-forrest/src/documentation/content/xdocs/xml-site/
3) let our forrestbot build those pages on a regular basis (running on
nagoya, as has been requested before) and upload them using some scp
protocol)
</bold words>

This way, at least the regular republication of the main site is
ensured, and we have a clean docbase to start with. If other projects
want to follow, doing their own docs using Forrest, check out
forrest-dev@xml.apache.org, we're considering a first release in the
next few weeks.

ps. Forrest (http://xml.apache.org/forrest/) is the result of
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-apache-general&m=100857962129228&w=2
It is (1) a new look & feel for the xml.apache.org website, (2) a robust
set of DTDs to author project website documentation, and (3) various
publication mechanisms using Cocoon and Ant.

Cheers,

</Steven>