forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <>
Subject Re: FW: Apache XML project left side bar.
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:06:46 GMT
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> It's the second or third time I forward this to the XML general mailing
> list... Is someone still taking care of the "main" website?
>     Pier

<bold words>
Some time ago, I migrated the main pages of to the new
document-v11.dtd under development inside the Forrest project. I added
those cleaned up (they were *very* messy) docs to our CVS and the 'new'
frontpage of is being republished using Forrest every
some hours on and They are published using
local copy (the forrestbot runs on and scp (to
krysalis - sourceforge webfarm).

We have been looking at cvs as a publication mechanism but consider this
to be unfeasible. Updating existing files isn't really a problem, it is
creating new directories and adding new files in an automated manner. If
anyone knows of an Ant-able application which does rsync-like operations
across CVS, please let us know.

What can we do to alleviate this situation:

1) nuke the website XML content from /home/cvs/xml-site/sources/website/
2) replace it with what is inside
3) let our forrestbot build those pages on a regular basis (running on
nagoya, as has been requested before) and upload them using some scp
</bold words>

This way, at least the regular republication of the main site is
ensured, and we have a clean docbase to start with. If other projects
want to follow, doing their own docs using Forrest, check out, we're considering a first release in the
next few weeks.

ps. Forrest ( is the result of
It is (1) a new look & feel for the website, (2) a robust
set of DTDs to author project website documentation, and (3) various
publication mechanisms using Cocoon and Ant.