forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: <embed> for using SVG
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:17:31 GMT
volker.franz@basf-ag.de wrote:

> Hoi,
>
> to generate our documentation, we try to use the Forrest-dtd's.
>
> We would like to use SVG in the space of a *.xhtml document. To do this, I need
> an <embed>.
>
> My question, do you plan to expand the document.dtd with an <embed>?

My mission for this week is trying to find out what parts of XHTML I
will be adding to the Forrest DTDs (if any ;-).

Shouldn't that be <object> instead?
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/abstract_modules.html#s_objectmodule

Problem is however that some legacy browsers prefer the <embed> element
(which isn't part of XHTML) - and then there is the option of inlining
SVG (of which I'm not particularly fond of).

I you use your own skin, you can always translate the <object> element
to <embed> - I would prefer to stich to <object> (and standards).

Out of curiosity: what SVG editing app are you using?

</Steven>