forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [patch][wip] partial work done on templates.build.xml
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:20:45 GMT
Marc Portier wrote:

> should be able to get more finished tonight (off-line though)
> but since the current bundle seems to work partially (and not break previous
> stuff)...

release early & often, they said ;-)

> would appreciate if someone could apply the patch

done

> - changes to build.xml
>   - are not on existing stuff yet (although there could be some renaming and
> repositioning done, xuse me)

no problems encountered, your local build must have been reasonably up
to date or the patch tool is smarter than we assume :-)

>   - are in the bot-section: some new targets
> - changes to forrestbot.conf.xml
>   - I realized that in current way of working the skin decision is
>     in the prepare step (not the generate)
> - changes to layout.xml reflecting some dir jugling in build/bot still not
> really comfortable, but hey, shoot me
> - changes to templates.build.xml is where the functional reasoning for all
> this hastle is, the rest is there to support that.
>

> non self explaining things maybe:
> - when doing a cvs get-src there is 2 distinct cvs actions:
> 	1. to get the actual deep dir that holds the xdocs
>       2. to get only the module top dir (non recursive):
>          we need it for the project description *.*ml files
> - also after the cvs actions files are locally copied to the context dir, I
> have some dream of forrestbot maybe holding a cache of the cvsmodules he's
> regulary updating (delta's rather then full checkouts?) so the cache would
> be kept, and the context dir swept clean on each run of the bot?

we can keep the cvs check-outs for that purpose, no? when you do an
update/checkout afterwards, only the changed files are updated

> - I'm not putting in the WEB-INF/classes in each distinct project,
>   instead I choose to share one among all central builds
>   (seems to work, please comment)
> - there is no filter @token@-translations on stuff in documentation dirs
> (see other discussion today)
>
> upcoming work (more wip)
> - provide deploy templates
>   (scp and local copy are on the list, others?)

cvs put - although setup will be much more complicated if at all
possible ... but currently it is the de-facto standard for updating
Apache websites (not that we should stick with the past - but we will
have to seriously motivate why we are dropping this method)

> - provide template for local-copy get-src
> - refactor build.xml to use the defaults
> - double-check the todo's just about everywhere around
>
> oh, as for what is already done:
> after patching go for > build clean bot
> and find the forrest docs inside ./build/bot/xml-forrest/docs

it does work, except for some image errors, and loads of cache write
errors due to excessive lengthy filenames:

   getting links: .ERROR   2002-07-25 21:10:51.124 [core.sto] (): Error
storing object on fs
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
..\work\cache-dir\PCK%3ACCK%3A1file%20-%20file%3A%2FC%3A%2Fcygwin%2Fh
ome%2Fstevenn%2Fprojects%2Fxml-forrest%2Fbuild%2Fbot%2Fprojects%2Fxml-forres\t%2Fcontext%2F%2E%2Fcon
tent%2Fxdocs%2Fbook%2Exml%3ACCK%3A3xslt%20-%20file%3A%2FC%3A%2Fcygwin%2Fhome%2Fstevenn%2Fprojects%2F
xml\-forrest%2Fbuild%2Fbot%2Fprojects%2Fxml-forrest%2Fcontext%2F%2E%2Fskins%2Fbert%2Fxslt%2Fhtml%2Fb
ook2menu%2Exsl%3Bisfaq%3D%3Bre\source%3Dtodo%2Ehtml%3ACCK%3A3xslt%20-%20file%3A%2FC%3A%2Fcygwin%2Fho
me%2Fstevenn%2Fprojects%2Fxml-forrest%2Fbuild%2Fbot%2Fpro\jects%2Fxml-forrest%2Fcontext%2F%2E%2Flibr
ary%2Fxslt%2Ffilterlinks%2Exsl (The filename or extension is too long)

I'll check tomorrow if this problem is solved using the JISP store (I
was thinking this was the already default for Forrest - has this changed
and who did so?)

> in all cases I'm happy to get some feedback

(applause)

> hope you will be happy to receive more patches in the near future

lol :-)

</Steven>