forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: general questions
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2002 06:57:25 GMT
Ian Atkin wrote:

>  why is bert the default skin?

it's our best one, cross-browser et al. the only other one you could
possibly rely upon is the basic one - the other ones are there for
showing off the concept of skins, but are not actively maintained

> - the faq says it's under dev

do you want me to change the faq, then? :-)

honestly - forrest-site should disappear and be replaced with the bert skin

> - the code assumes your building to a web served filesystem that copies
> xml.apache.org's filespace (tab2menu.xsl prefixes links with
> '/forrest/', for example which breaks the tab links)
> - any first timer doing a "./build.sh docs" probably won't be outputing
> to such a place
> - i spent ages not fathoming that tab link bug because i assumed that
> forrest-site was the default

we are aware of this hack and will be addressing it somewhere-in-time

> why so many empty directories?
> - this is a *total pain* when trying to fathom a project
> - i realise that forrest is a big superset but the duplication seems,
> well, stupid to me
> - there seems to be multiple locations for skins, arbitrary locations
> for other scripts, i can't make any sense of it
> - if it's empty, what *exactly* does a placeholder hold in place?
> - an infection of "placeholder-itis" disease, IMO
>
> why are dir stuctures so damn deep?
> - if using Ant to copy everything prior to generation, why is the src/
> dir struct so complex
> - why not make things easy to find? i spend far too long navv'ing though
> dir structs as it is, ant can remove most of this need, why not use it
> for that?
> - seems like many apache projects suffer from this, so folks must rate
> the approach, but i can't see the benefit myself

Etc etc... Forrest has adopted Centipede as it's underlying build
environment. Forrest doesn't use much of Centipede's power since we
don't do much Java code - hence the empty directories.

We could remove them, but I don't see a strong reason why. I'll update
the directory layout description in the Forrest primer, however, if that
helps.

Other than that: please remember this is people working in free
time/stolen company time :-)

BTW: how did the Docbook/Anakia thing worked out?
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-general&m=102163831015776&w=2

</Steven>