forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: table tag in document v11
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2002 09:37:16 GMT

Steven Noels wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>> +1, as already decided upon before.
>>
>> BTW, why not use <a> like in XHTML?
>> IT brings us closer to XHTML...
>>

> Just had some discussion about XHTML and docs-v11 with Bruno here. Apart
> from what we have in terms of overall structure, we will always try to
> mimic XHTML on the content level, whether that's for styling issues,
> sophisticated tables, etc... I don't think the Text module of XHTML
> (reference below) is bad for general purpose text, it's just a bit
> looser than what we are used to in the xdocs-v11 DTDs.
>
> I'm seriously thinking about moving to XHTML block level elements for
> the content elements, adding a slice of <sections> on top of it.
>
> I just have to discover the right hooks in XHTML for reusing their
> elements. This also might solve the aforementioned problems of Bert,
> Joerg, Konstantin et al.
>
> The problem I have however is that
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/doctype.html#s_doctype puts those stinking
> h1->h6 levels inside the Text module, so maybe I'll have to reuse
> starting on a lower level...
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/abstract_modules.html#s_textmodule)
>

> I need to think about this seriously. What's the general feeling on
> this?

Definately worth pursuing.
Users that have tried Forrest have had very good words about the XHTML
similarities.

> I won't do this lightheartedly, since it possibly means breaking
> backward-compatibility.

Of a never-released product ;-)

Anyway, we need to do it quick, because projects are in great need, and
I have been publicizing it a lot.
If we do it, we *must* do it now.

> But I know Joerg (whose opinion I trust on this
> matter) and others have been begging us, and since we have no formal
> release schedule anyhow and everything is in flux anyhow (duh), we could
> add it to the never-ending todo list.

-1 for the list...

Just do it (tm)

> Ideas? Opinions?