forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: table tag in document v11
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2002 09:31:43 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> +1, as already decided upon before.
>
> BTW, why not use <a> like in XHTML?
> IT brings us closer to XHTML...

Just had some discussion about XHTML and docs-v11 with Bruno here. Apart
from what we have in terms of overall structure, we will always try to
mimic XHTML on the content level, whether that's for styling issues,
sophisticated tables, etc... I don't think the Text module of XHTML
(reference below) is bad for general purpose text, it's just a bit
looser than what we are used to in the xdocs-v11 DTDs.

I'm seriously thinking about moving to XHTML block level elements for
the content elements, adding a slice of <sections> on top of it.

I just have to discover the right hooks in XHTML for reusing their
elements. This also might solve the aforementioned problems of Bert,
Joerg, Konstantin et al.

The problem I have however is that
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/doctype.html#s_doctype puts those stinking
h1->h6 levels inside the Text module, so maybe I'll have to reuse
starting on a lower level...
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/abstract_modules.html#s_textmodule)

I need to think about this seriously. What's the general feeling on
this? I won't do this lightheartedly, since it possibly means breaking
backward-compatibility. But I know Joerg (whose opinion I trust on this
matter) and others have been begging us, and since we have no formal
release schedule anyhow and everything is in flux anyhow (duh), we could
add it to the never-ending todo list.

Ideas? Opinions?

</Steven>