forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: xml-forrest/src/resources/skins/bert/scripts breadcrumbs-optimized.js breadcrumbs.js
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2002 06:47:12 GMT
nicolaken@apache.org wrote:

> nicolaken    2002/07/23 01:25:55
>
>   Added:       src/resources/skins/bert/scripts breadcrumbs-optimized.js
>                         breadcrumbs.js
>   Log:
>       <action dev="NKB" type="add" context="docs">
>        Added breadcrumb trali script from Avalon site's skin.
>        Made by Leo Simmons (tm)
>       </action>

It's not that I have big and thought-evoking opinions on site design,
but what is the benefit of using this instead of the older approach?
 From what I understand from the comments inside the JS, it should build
up a breadcrumb trail (we call it yahoo-path over here) from the
'URL'... is that from document.location given some starting point? It
seems like the different steps in the trail are passed into the JS as
parameters - which makes me wonder what the big advantage is.

e.g. for {foobar}/community/howto/xmlform/step2.html, shouldn't the
trail look like "apache > xml.apache > forrest > community > howto >
xmlform > step2"?

Hacking up our own site (a very long time ago), I passed the request
location as an XSLT parameter into a pipeline which creates the trail:
http://outerthought.org/cocoon/resources/colophon is built up from

  - http://outerthought.org/cocoon/cayahoo/resources/colophon
  - http://outerthought.org/cocoon/catoc/resources/colophon
  - http://outerthought.org/cocoon/cacontent/resources/colophon.xml

So the yahoo-path should be regarded as something similar to the menu
structure, IMO, having its own pipeline which produces some XHTML
fragment to be aggregated in the overall page grid.

</Steven>